Friday, April 24, 2015

Felt Poppies for Anzac Day

It is only in recent years that people have been wearing poppies for Anzac Day - they are usually only worn on Remembrance Day in November.

While I was in town yesterday, I saw a lady wearing a lovely knitted poppy brooch, and thought I would try and make one out of felt to wear to tomorrow's commemorative service. 

Out of one square of felt I was able to make five felt poppy brooches.


These were quickly made, by cutting out a 5 petal flower shape in two different sizes.  I sewed a black button to the centre of the smaller flower and then wrapped black feathers wool around the button to give the appearance of the stamens.  The larger flower shape was slightly gathered before sewing the smaller shape to it.


For ease of wear, I just sewed a little safety pin to the back of the felt flower


As Rosemary is the normal floral tribute for remembrance on Anzac Day I thought maybe I could combine the two, and add a sprig of rosemary behind the felt poppy


I will be sharing the felt poppy brooches with my sisters and friends.

Check out this link here to see the fantastic handmade poppies (over 200,000) in Melbourne

Anzac Day - On the 25th of April 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of the allied expedition that set out the capture the Gallipoli peninsula.  These became known as the Anzacs and April 25th quickly became the day that Australians remembered the sacrifices of all those that have died in military operations.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment